Chapel of the Virgin Mary, Drumry

The first notice of the Chapel of the Virgin Mary - usually referred to as St. Mary's Chapel, Drumry - is in the Register of Paisley Abbey when the priest Gilbert of Drumry was present in 1426. As noted in the entry for the Knights Templar in Scotland, the church may have been templar in origin and if this was the case may be earliest dated to 1139 when Pope Innocent II granted the templar order the right to build their own churches. Graham Hancock in his The Sign and the Seal notes that these templar churches were often circular in plan; perhaps the Drumry chapel was likewise.

The chapel was under the jurisdiction of Kilpatrick parish; itself under the jurisdiction of Paisley Abbey. In 1476, Sir William Livingston, as patron of the church, was involved in settling a dispute between Thomas Montgomerie, then the priest in charge of the chapel, and Semple, the bailie of Paisley Abbey; the dispute relating to the tack of the lands of Drumchapel.

The chapel was endowed funds by later lairds of Drumry:- the Hamiltons(1526-1530), Craufurds(1530-1545) and the Semples (from 1545). After 1545 the barony of Drumry was to switch between the Semples, Craufurds and Hamiltons in the reign of Queen Mary and in the early years of King James VI when his regents governed. Laurence Craufurd gave the chapel the lands of Jordanhill in 1547.

In the 1540s the Reformation was to come to Scotland. Protestantism was taking a hold in Scotland though anyone caught preaching the new faith was liable to face execution. By 1560 though, the preachings of John Knox, among others, had made Protestantism the main religion in Scotland.

In 1562, the priest at Drumry, Bartholomew Montgomerie closed the chapel and sold Jordanhill to Thomas Craufurd (who fought against Queen Mary at Langside). His elder brother Hew (who fought for the Queen) succeeded his father and attained Drumchapel.

The chapel being closed, was never used for Protestant worship and fell into ruin. The stones were said to have been used for the policies of Garscadden. Some ruins must have still been there in 1857 as Joseph Irving writes:"at Drumry are the ruins of what is supposed to have been a chapel, dedicated to the Virgin Mary, and endowed with the lands of Drum and Jordanhill." These ruins must have been finally removed by 1893, as John Bruce was to write: "The chapel of Drumry is said to have stood on the roadside close to the South Drumry farm, the spot being marked by an ancient thorn tree which was removed in the year 1891. Human remains have been found at this spot from time to time." Given that the entrance to Drumry farm would have currently been near the Dunkenny Road - Drumry Road junction, the church would have been situated near there: OS no: NS 5157 7093. A new church now used for Protestant worship, on Drumry Road now bears the name of St. Mary's, Drumry.